One is Greater than Zero

As I’ve said before, I think, we have developed into an excuse based culture.

Instead of finding a way, we’ve learned to look for a way out.

In that vain..

We’re one month into the new year.

Hows that Exercise and Eat better resolution working for ya?

If you’re like a lot of people, it’s not.

You probably started strong but fell into the perfection trap. <—I made that term up, I think.

Personally, I think the “perfection trap” is an excuse veiled as an actual reason. Kinda like the false sacrifice..

Here’s how this works:

“I’m going to work out for 60 minutes 5 times a week.”

And while motivation is high and you’re prioritizing exercise, it works for you and you get it done.

But then, like 7-10 days later, life strikes.

Motivation wanes, progress doesn’t seem to be happening (at least not as quickly as some BS commercial on the lie box (T.V.) would lead you to believe it should would like) life happens, and you start missing.

One week you get to the gym 4 times, instead of 5.

Next week, well, I could only make it 3.

Three weeks later…..maybe twice, I’ll try….I just don’t know if I’ll have the time..

A month after you started strong you fell into the perfection trap, “I just can’t commit an hour, 5 times a week”.

But who said you had to?

Is that, like a secret frequency and duration where the magic happens ?

Wouldn’t something be better than nothing?

Isn’t 1>0?

Instead of focusing on what you can’t do right now you could just focus on what you CAN get done.

Who says you have to exercise X times a week for Y long?


For no good reason, YOU made these numbers up in your head.

And, don’t take this personal, but you don’t get a say on this.

You decided that 60 minutes, 5 times a week was how much you needed and anything less wasn’t good enough.


Cause you heard it on TV????

The Biggest Loser?


The News?

As far as I’m concerned, getting Health, Fitness, Wellness Information from those sources and even many industry “experts” is like playing Russian Roulette with your health.

Except all but one chamber is loaded in this version.

That’s only an 83% chance it’s not even on this f-ing planet wrong..they’re on the money 17% of the time..

I like my odds. 

So instead of just doing what you could, you chose falling back into the trap of doing NOTHING cause it wasn’t what the original plan (perfection) was. 

And doing nothing will ALWAYS lead to NO CHANGES. <—-and thats not perfection..

20 minutes always beats 0

2 times a week always beats 0

Not saying that lessening your expectations, diligence, drive etc is the way to go.

Don’t settle for less.



Often the people who are the most successful at anything are not those who are perfect.

Instead, it’s the people who are willing to slowly, steadily, painstakingly grind awaygetting shit done day after day.

Even if it’s not as much as you would like or it’s less than perfect.

It’s STILL Progress.


The Squiggly Line .com

Untitled drawing (39)



Credit where it’s due.: I stole this idea from Gary Vee..

crush it

This is actually the first book I read that convinced me I should work for myself…they’re all really good. Except the wine one, I don’t know nothing bout that. 

Sign Up, Get Knowledge!

Signup now and receive an email once I publish new content.

I will never give away, trade or sell your email address. You can unsubscribe at any time.

About Roy:

I wrote this, if you think it rocks, Like, Tweet, E-mail, share and tell people about this article. If you think it sucks, Like, Tweet, E-mail, share this article and tell people I'm the biggest jerk in the world (or not). Either way thanks for reading, sharing and let me know what you think.


  1. David Rice says:

    It should be clear to every one of us that every little bit of activity helps. There’s no such thing as the perfect workout or the perfect amount of exercise. Just get your heart rate up on a regular basis and lift something heavy too. You don’t need to get to 90% of your maximum heart rate, or bench press your body weight to see benefits. Combine the two with 7 hours a day of sleep with some patience and persistence, and magic will happen.


  1. […] There was always an excuse reason why he didn’t get into the gym, or even do the warmup, mobility, activation stuff at home. […]

Talk About it!